That building in the marked circle is the old An Post Sorting Office on Eglinton Street. It was demolished at least 2 years ago, and was probably gone long before then. Does anyone remember when? It’s now the building site of the Elysian. Google’s map shows the cleared building site from 2 years ago. Boy, am I glad I took that photo now! 🙂
My 7 month old son, Adam watched this video after breakfast and barely moved his eyes from the screen. I think he’s a Daft Punk fan. Cool.
- Oh yeah, very tough job. Holding up the bar? Takes a lot of skill!
- All Creatures Great and Small – come on now, you watched it, didn’t you?
- I think Alkos is the best street photographer in the country. Subscribe to his feed. Good stuff!
- My brother Donal has two great looking canvas prints ready to hang up in his new home. Here he talks about where he got them printed.
- How to learn a language in one hour
- Blogsell your community event on a budget. Using WordPress.com too!
- Agile programming, by Dilbert. 🙂
- Stunning photo of the Eiffel Tower.
- How to photograph a rainbow. Some of the images are a bit over saturated but still nice.
- B&W adjustment layers and blending ideas. Photoshop specific but they’re applicable to the GIMP too. I’d love to see the GIMP support adjustment layers.
- Scott’s legendary station wagon desert safari. Remote control drive a car into the desert and shoot it up! Slightly disturbing comment though:
Goddammit, I miss everything cool!! Well, not everything but Goddammit I want to ridearound at breakneck speeds shooting at another car and not go to jail again.
- Some dogs learn quickly and don’t let size intimidate them! 🙂
Oh yeah baby! Bon Jovi are playing live at the Punchestown Racecourse on Saturday 7th June, 2008! I can’t wait! I’m so going there! Thank you MCD for spamming me! Bloody idiots.
Anyway, why spend an outrageous €76.50 when I can sit here cocooned in my nice little office away from those horrid fans and watch the videos on Youtube? Ain’t the Internet great?
Tongue firmly planted in cheek.. except the bit about MCD spamming me.
Morgan O’Neill showed his impressive portfolio last night at the camera club. His gallery hasn’t been uploaded yet but I’ll be linking to it here when he does. Great stuff. Also, the IPF have released “Photography Ireland 2008”. I bought my copy. I think it will be available in shops but if you see it, snap it up!
- Paul asks if professional photography is still a viable career.
A professional photographer in the UK earns an average of £19K per year. I’ve just had a look on some job websites and seen adverts for photographers at a national chain of portrait studios. The advertised salary, £12K per year ie not that much above minimum wage.
- Do you run more than one WordPress site? Virtual multiblog may be useful to you. It’s a very different beast to WordPress MU, but I’m going to look at it when I have a spare moment.
- Tips for shooting family portraits.
- Video Adsense coming to Ireland, UK and Canada. I wonder if I can use them on my The Funny Video Blog?
Some people are so considerate ..
Version 0.5.1 of WP Super Cache is now available! This release of the plugin will be especially useful for Digg and Slashdot users who experience really huge traffic spikes.
This post has been dugg! Add your Digg here! I doubt it’ll get anywhere near the front page at this stage as it’s only collected 3 diggs in 7 hours. Once it hits 24 hours it disappears forever.
After submitting a site to Digg, some people do the following to get every last ounce of performance out of their WordPress blog, especially on an underpowered server:
- Clear the cookies from their browser so the comment form won’t be filled in. (or use a second browser).
- Visit the page they submitted to Digg and save it to their desktop.
- Open an ftp programme, and recreate the path to the page. Then upload the saved file as “index.html” to that directory.
- Finally, after the Digg subsides 24 hours later, remember to remove the directory structure and index.html.
The new version of WP Super Cache automates all the above. You do have to make your blog’s root directory writable by the webserver, but you’re warned continually that this is a major security risk and reminded to make it read-only again.
Download it here: wp-super-cache.0.5.1.zip
How does it perform versus the regular static files the plugin creates? In most situations you won’t notice any difference, but when there are tens of thousands of requests hitting your server for one particular page, I find that Apache has trouble keeping up.
In other developments, I added checks for PHP safe_mode. Unfortunately safe_mode stops WP Super Cache working properly. I’m glad to see Mark applied my patch for Subscribe to Comments! No more stray emails if you use the moderation queue to approve comments from many posts!
Bertie Ahern, the Irish prime minister received a pay increase of €38,000 a few weeks ago. Not many people are happy about that. To express your disapproval, send an email to FARTOOMUCHBERTIE@gmail.com and you’ll be sent a “Far too much Bertie” sticker. 200,000 stickers have been printed so there are plenty to go around!
Via Indymedia and Kevin Cotter on the Ray D’Arcy Show.
Update! There’s a lively discussion on boards.ie! Welcome all from there. Please feel free to comment here too.