If you run a busy site, then it’s definitely worth downloading and upgrading!
Why didn’t they let him rot in prison for the rest of his life? I can’t imagine that conditions in an Iraqi prison are anything to write home about and he wouldn’t have been popular with most other prisoners. Instead they hang him and he becomes a martyr. Nothing good will come of taking another life. No right thinking person could support what he did to the Iraqi people but things are definitely going to get worse now that he’s dead.
An uncensored video shot in the same room doesn’t stop where the CNN one above does. It’s on Google Video already and I found it on The Whistleblower. It’s too gruesome for me to embed here so if you really want to watch it click the link.
More on this boingboing post.
Some bloggers on WordPress.com seem to be going mad for the video of Saddam’s hanging. Sheesh!
What happens when someone rings two police stations at the same time on two phones and they hold the phones together? Claire has the answer. Must have been a meteorite hit the lines but they’re alright in Westport and Castlebarr.
Gammagoblin has made a Google Video of the phone call!
Frank thinks the Gardai were busy dealing with meteorites on the line when a certain memo came from Interpol. Oops.
Yawn. The mundane things in life are top of my agenda today. We’re looking for a new mattress and considering how much time is spent asleep in bed it’s criminal not to buy the best you can afford.
From research it appears that memory foam mattresses are the best to go for. I would certainly hope a new mattress would help my sore back! Tempura mattresses have been recommended to us but they’re hard to buy in Cork. Casey’s Furniture have them but they’ve always been over priced in their city center location. Another brand I have come across is Visco and it appears to do the same job. According to one salesperson they’re firmer than Tempura mattresses but I need to ring around a few more places before we make up our minds.
If you have one of these mattresses I’d love to hear about how comfortable they are. Try searching for any information on either brand and you’ll only find are online-stores trying to flog you one!
This page is better than most however. Here’s what they say about Visco-elastic mattress, which I presume applies to Tempura too.
- Body heat reacts with the foam to soften it.
- The mattress then moulds and re-moulds to your body’s contours.
- Provides excellent support and enables natural movement during sleep.
- Helps to maintain correct posture and align spine horizontally when lying on your side.
- Hypo-allergenic with anti-microbial properties.
Off to town shortly and out with the credit card..
January 3rd 2007 – we went into town this afternoon and tried a few places before buying a bed in Swan Beds. It’s a memory foam mattress. A bit pricey but less than Casey’s were looking for. Hopefully it’ll be delivered next Wednesday!
I’ve had a Nokia 6320 or something like that for well over a year so I think it’s about time I treat myself to a mobile phone upgrade on my Meteor account. My brother bought a Sony Ericsson K750i, I had a brief play with it and I’m impressed. This review from last year paints a rosy picture also but it’s only one of a number of phones available from Meteor.
What do I need my mobile phone to do besides the basic calling functions?
- A half-decent camera would be nice. I don’t want a 1.3MP sensor! The K750i has a 2MP sensor. That will do nicely.
- I’d prefer a radio to an mp3 player but having both would be a bonus.
- A messaging system that deletes all reports with one push of a button is very desirable. Some of the Nokias make you delete the delivery reports one by one!
- I don’t like clam shell phones, but I could be swayed.
- I don’t care about owning the newest and greatest phone on the market and I’m price conscious. As my bills are low each month I want to go for the cheapest call package which Meteor offer. That would be Meteor 60 I think.
Decisions, decisions. I probably won’t get a chance to go into a Meteor store today but maybe sometime over the next few weeks.
Update! I bought the Sony Ericsson W810i. Here’s my mini review and initial impressions. There’s not much between it and the K750i that I can see except:
- It comes with speakers which could be useful for the radio/mp3 player but probably not.
- It has a 512MB memory stick duo card.
- Battery life is reduced.
- The styling is a little different. The camera doesn’t have a slide-open cover.
Initial impressions are good except:
- When texting, the predictive text engine, T9, pops up a small window with a choice of words or symbols by default. I turned that off. Choosing a new word requires the use of the small joystick instead of the * key. Something I’ll get used to, but so far it means I need to type 2-handed.
- Delivery reports are switched off too, but that’s been the case with every phone I’ve owned. As Donal said in the comments, the report doesn’t go into my inbox! Woo!
- The SPACE character shares the # key instead of the 0 key. It’s a minor niggle but I find the space in the middle of the keyboard is easier to tap with my large hands.
- The SIM card is a pain to get out requiring 2 fingers to push and pull it out.
Those are mostly minor problems, and some are from familiarity with Nokia phones. My first phone was a Panasonic and it had the space character on the # key too so I know it’ll become second nature to me eventually. I like the camera. It’s a 2MP sensor, adjustable exposure value, white balance and even has an illuminating light. Movies are stored in 3gp format but I’m sure there are ways of converting them to an online-friendly format if I look. The Walkman app looks promising and I’ll play wih it a little more once I’ve added a few mp3s to the memory stick.
The W810i has a handy panorama feature where the phone will stitch together 3 photos to make one larger image. It displays a semi-transparent portion of the previous image on the left of the screen for overlap purposes to allow you to line up the next shot. It works quite well too. Here’s a shot from O’Brien’s Sandwich Bar in Blackpool shopping center this morning.
For some hardy souls (or single young men) train spotting provides a much needed outlet for their adolescent energy. Check out this video by Delticmatt at Taplow train station and then view the tribute to the self-same person with added speech bubbles in case you don’t hear the “oooh aaaahhh” and “Oh Yeah!” These trains just keep on coming.
Just remember, say no to the guid! Why make their lives more difficult?
March 25, 2007 – DM has asked me to remove the video which was on this page which I am happy to do so as he’s made it private anyway. It’s a shame really as it was a great video!
I have noticed adverts from a particular domain listed in my Adsense competitive ads filter are still appearing. I understand it might take several hours for changes to the filter to become active, but 4 days?
Google, is something broken?
Update! It appears I’m not the only one with this problem.
Bah, it happened again on 2006-12-30. An advert for 1helpon.info/filmxfilm appeared on my site despite 1helpon.info being in my competitive ad filter for ages. Grrr.